I came across this wonderful recipe for Lavender-Peach-Vanilla Jam that I am itching to try. I love scones and think this would be really nice on scones, toast and croissants. Unless you actually grow lavender yourself, it may be a task to find it in your local grocer. We are lucky to have an awesome organic grocery here locally in Auburn that sells just about any herb you are searching for. If you can find some in your neck of the woods and want to try some of that lovely lavender peach vanilla jam out for yourself, here is the recipe:
MAKES ABOUT 1 CUP
• 2 cups peeled fresh or frozen peaches, thawed
• 2 tablespoons fresh or dried lavender buds
• 1/2 cup water
• 2 tablespoons apple juice concentrate, thawed
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
• 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Slice peeled peaches as thinly as possible.
2. Combine lavender and water in a small saucepan; bring to boil. Remove from heat, cover and steep 5 minutes. Pour liquid through a wire-mesh strainer into a measuring cup. Reserve liquid and lavender buds.
3. Combine peaches, apple juice concentrate, honey, lemon juice, vanilla extract and reserved lavender liquid in a nonstick skillet. Add 1 teaspoon steeped lavender buds, if desired.
4. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 5 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly and mashing peaches with the back of a spoon until mixture becomes the consistency of jam.
5. Refrigerate jam in a bowl for about 1 hour until chilled. Conduct taste test and make corrections, if needed.
TIP: To prepare fresh peaches, wash and score an x on blossom end of peach. Plunge into rapidly boiling water for about 1 minute. Quickly transfer to bowl of ice water. Peel and pit.